Are you looking for ways to make some extra money during tight times or to just cover an upcoming expense? The following are a few ways to use a hobby or talent online to generate some additional funds:
Writers, Designers, Technology Buffs
Do you enjoy writing? Are you good at it? Are you talented with Photoshop, Illustrator, or other design programs? Do you have any particular skills or talents in the fields of Web design/maintenance or IT? If so, you should consider taking a look at the projects and work that are offered through services such as Elance or oDesk. Even Craigslist can be a treasure trove of projects and part time work in these fields (be sure to look under jobs AND gigs). These three websites offer many possibilities — from snagging a single project to routine part time work that can generate the extra cash you desire.
Photographers, Graphic Designers, Illustrators
If you’re a budding photographer or designer, you should consider diving into the realm of selling stock photography and designs online. With the addition of some decent photo editing/Photoshop skills, you may be able to create a nice, steady long term income source.
- Sites such as iStockPhoto, Dreamstime, 123rf, and many others are always looking for talented new photographers and designers to join their sites. They are free to join and all of them offer you the ability to sell your images online.
- If you’re up for a bit more design work, consider creating a storefront on Zazzle or CafePress where you may showcase your photographs and designs on a myriad of different products. Many people who have invested the time in creating their own Zazzle or CafePress are doing well with them and generating some decent rewards financially.
- There’s a business card company (PrintBusinessCards.com) that is allowing independent photographers, designers, and illustrators to create business card templates and sell them, along with the original photo or art work. The rewards on their site are very competitive ($5 per business card sale, $20 per art file sale). You can learn more about their artist program at TheArtofBusinessCards.com.
Knitters, Woodworkers, Painters, Jewelry Makers, and More
For those of you who enjoy handmade arts and crafts and are good at producing them, you should consider looking into selling your wares online. There is a great deal of interest online in seeking out unique, quality handmade items. Whether you crochet, knit, sew, paint, carve…whatever your talent may be…there is a way to sell your creations online.
- Craigslist. This is a great way to “test the waters” for selling your items online. It’s free and based on your local area (which may be helpful if you’re thinking of attending local arts and craft shows, fairs, etc.).
- Etsy.com – Etsy is pretty much “THE” place online to showcase and sell handmade items. Their motto is, “Buy, Sell, Live Handmade.” Etsy allows you to create your own “shop” where all of your items are showcased. Etsy’s popularity since its inception in 2005 has grown dramatically and it’s a great place to offer handmade items (they also allow the sale of vintage items too).
- eBay – There is a growing section for handmade arts and crafts on this ever popular auction site. Listing fees are higher than Etsy, but it’s still a good place to list items.
- CraftMall.com is also another popular place for handmade arts and crafts. They allow you to create your own store for a simple flat monthly rate that is determined by the number of items you wish to list in your store.
These are just a few ways to use talents and hobbies that you already have to earn additional money. It all requires a bit more work on your part, but many of these suggestions have the ability to become a long term source of additional income. While researching these ideas, we also came across two other articles that contain good suggestions and ideas beyond those that we listed here. We encourage you to read “5 Ways to Earn Extra Cash in Your Spare Time” and “Quick Ways to Generate Cash: Tip to Make Money in a Hurry“. We hope our suggestions and these other two additional articles will be beneficial to you in your quest to earn additional money.